Sunday, July 6, 2014

Natural Beauty

In my posts I've been focusing mostly on visions, goals & self-discovery, but there are many other things that contribute to feeling healthy, happy & fulfilled. Because I know how difficult it can be to find great natural or organic beauty products, I'd like to share some that I love.

A few years ago, I became interested in swapping my "conventional" beauty products for "healthier" natural and/or organic options. I tested different brands, but never really found products that I loved. So, I went back to most of what I was using before. It wasn't until I attended a lecture this past fall and found out about the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, that I really committed to making the switch.


The Skin Deep Cosmetics Database allows you to look up nearly every beauty & cosmetic product on the market, view its contents and it will notify you of potential ingredient health hazards (1= low hazard, 10= high hazard). After taking a look at some of the products I had been using, I decided it was time to find healthier & safer alternatives.


I haven't made the switch with every product I use, but here are a few that I absolutely love!






Rarely does a natural deodorant get five star reviews. After trying at least seven different natural deodorants that failed for various reasons (sticky, smelly, didn't last, left white marks, etc.), I was so happy to find Real Purity. It actually works. I'm not kidding. It smells light and fresh, goes on clear, it isn't sticky and it lasts all day -- even in the summer! There are times I will reapply, but overall this is an amazing product and I am so thankful my natural deodorant search is over! 
(EWG score: 1)



Nearly all perfumes have a high hazard score on Skin Deep. I'd like to make my own perfumes with essential oils, but haven't done that just yet. For now, I did find a lovely alternative. Pacifica Island Vanilla perfume has a sweet vanilla scent, mixed with honey-jasmine. It is perfect for every day wear.
(EWG score: 4 - The perfume is not listed, this is for the Island Vanilla Body Wash)


I love this eye make up remover by Beauty Without Cruelty. I apply it to a cotton ball and my eye make up comes off effortlessly -- no pulling or rubbing on the eye area needed. It is gentle, fragrance free and doesn't leave any greasy residue. It is all around a wonderful product!
(EWG score: 2)


I am in love with the EO brand. The products are high quality, but affordable. The Everyone Face Tone I use in the evening after I wash my face. It is gentle (I have oily and sometimes sensitive skin) and removes the last traces of oil and make up, leaving my skin feeling refreshed. (EWG score: 3) 

I wash my face twice a day with the Everyone Face Exfoliate. Normally, exfoliating more than once a day can be harsh on the skin, but this is very gentle. It has a light citrusy smell and leaves my skin feeling clean, but also moisturized -- not stripped. (EWG score: 2)

The Everyone Lotion in Coconut + Lemon is a favorite. Not only do I love this lotion because coconut & lemon is my favorite scent combination, but because it is not at all greasy and does a great job moisturizing skin all year round. Did I mention it smells amazing? :) (EWG score: 2)

Lastly, the Everyone Face Moisturize face lotion has become my staple face moisturizer. Over the years I have probably tried at least 10 -- not kidding -- different face moisturizers. Because I have oily, sensitive - and in the winter more combination - skin, other products would make my face greasy, breakout prone, or red and itchy. This lotion is light, not greasy and wears well under make up. I love it! The smell is a bit odd, but it does the job so well, I can look past the smell! (EWG score: 2)

I hope you found this helpful if you are looking for new natural beauty products -- or if you're thinking of making the switch! In the future, I plan to test out some homemade beauty products and share them here!








No comments:

Post a Comment