Three weeks postpartum
The early postpartum period has definitely been one of highs, lows and adjustment to hormones! The time during my initial hospital stay and my readmission were still kind of fuzzy due to being on pain killers, having the blood transfusion, blood pressure issues, coming down from HELLP Syndrome, exhaustion, etc. I found myself crying extremely easily -- any change in plans or small stressor had me in tears! As I approached three weeks, this has dissipated for the most part. I've felt good emotionally, but with postpartum hormones and adjustment to having three babies in the NICU definitely comes high and low moments. Overall I am thrilled and extremely grateful that our boys are here and doing well! Markus and I are just so in love with them and cannot wait for them to come home!
The pain from my C-section scar has lessened, but is still not quite 100%. I wear the abdominal binder I got at the hospital every day -- without it my scar hurts and feels less supported (if you have a C-section, ask your nurse for a binder!). I ordered a Bellefit dual closure girdle, but unfortunately the sales lady sized me incorrectly, so I'm waiting for my new size to come in the mail.
On the morning of delivery I weighed in at 197 lbs. -- a 64 lb. gain from my pre-IVF/pregnancy weight! The day after delivery I had lost 30 pounds -- that was a lot of baby, placenta, fluid and blood volume! As of today, I've lost a total of 49 lbs. and have 15 lbs. to go until I reach my pre-IVF/pregnancy weight.
A week before delivery at 28 weeks - measuring 45 inches around!
3 weeks postpartum
Other random postpartum tidbits:
- No more bloody noses or constant nasal congestion!
- My hair comes out in clumps when I brush it -- I guess this is normal and will go away soon
- I had my first drink since April -- a glass of champagne to celebrate the boys' arrival!
- I have had a few deli meat sandwiches and they've been yummy!
- I can breathe again and it feels great
- I can wear my wedding ring again, but my engagement ring is still a little small!
- Sometimes I miss having the boys in my belly and feeling their kicks and pokes :(
The boys are continuing to do well and are making progress! There is so much to remember and so much that changes each day with three of them in the NICU, I'll just provide some highlights:
- All three have been trialled off Cpap. They are now all back on, but each time it has been for a little longer than the time before (and it's such a treat to see their faces!)
- Mariks and Julians are no longer receiving IV nutrition -- Henrijs should be off of his IV in a few days.
- Mariks and Henrijs responded well to the ibuprofen treatment for PDAs, Julians unfortunately did not, but we are hopeful that his will resolve and he can avoid surgery.
- All boys are above 3 lbs, Henrijs hit 4 lbs a day ago!
- Because Mariks and Julians no longer have IVs they got to wear clothes for the first time :) We get to start bringing preemie outfits from home for them to wear. Henrijs will also get to wear clothing as soon as his IV is out.
- While Henrijs was off Cpap, he got to practice breastfeeding with mom which was extremely special!
Our little peanut Julians (currently 3 lbs 2 oz) trying on his new outfit
Our big guy Henrijs (4 lbs) off cpap
Mariks (3 lbs 6 oz ) enjoying time off Cpap in his Christmas hat and new outfit
We continue to pray for our boys and hope that they might make it home by 36-37 weeks gestation or earlier. Of course, this can change and there are no promises, but we are hopeful!