Sunday, November 8, 2015

27 week update

How far along: 27 weeks 6 days 
Weight gain/loss: I was 184 at my appointment this week (47 lb. gain)
Symptoms: Congestion/nose bleeds as per usual, some painful kicking/baby movement, generally not feeling well after about 5 pm (belly gets really heavy, lots of pelvic floor pressure, tired, worn out, etc.)
Maternity clothes: I got one more pair of lounge jogger pants from A Pea in the Pod, so now I have 4 pairs of pants in my regular rotation!
Sleep: Some nights are better than others. Occasionally a baby will be in a position that makes it uncomfortable for me to lay down or I'll feel short of breath. However, I am still getting decent sleep for the most part with about an average of 4 bathroom trips and a few position shifts throughout the night. 
Best moment this week: Our dear friends Roberts (who is also Markus' cousin) and Alyssa came to visit us this weekend! I was so grateful I could make it out for lunch yesterday! It was great to catch up with them, as we miss all the time we were able to spend with them while living in Chicago. 
Miss Anything? Well, I am missing my desserts and not having to think so much about what I'm going to eat (i.e., carb counting). I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes this week and I'm not happy about it... more on that below. 
Movement: Tons! 
Food cravings: Nothing really, but watching someone else eat something that I'd like to have is hard!
Belly measurement: Biggest part of the belly is now 44 inches! 
Gender: 3 Boys!!
Appointment Update: I left this week's appointment in tears after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I know it's not my fault and has to do with the hormones being released by the placentas blocking insulin. The OB said he was not surprised. I have had a hard time coming to terms with this diagnosis and I think working in the public health field and being someone who when not pregnant eats healthy and is very active somehow makes it harder for me. But, it is what it is and I have other friends who have had it as well. I'll have to go to a dietitian and diabetes educator and check my sugar at home. I obviously failed the 1-hour glucose tolerance test -- by only 4 points -- and had to do the 3-hour. To any other multiple moms doing the 3-hour: I recommend calling the lab beforehand and requesting a place to lie down. We had a private room with a recliner and I brought my body pillow and Kindle with headphones. During hours 2 and 3 I fell asleep while listening to guided meditation, which made the process much more bearable. During hour 1 I thought I was going to get sick a few times. I ended up having a normal fasting, I passed the 1-hour, failed the 2-hour by 30 points and then failed the 3-hour by 1 point. Bummer. In other news, we had a growth ultrasound this week and everything looked good! Baby B is still having some issues with the blood flow through the cord, but everyone is doing well! I also don't need to have cervix checks anymore.

Babies weigh:
Baby A - 3.3 lbs (above average!)
Baby B - 2.1 lbs (average)
Baby C - 2.6 lbs (average) 

Prayers: Praying to now make it through week 28! Praying for Baby B's growth to not be affected by the blood flow in the cord. Praying for me to be able to manage the GD through diet and for it to never pose an issue for me going forward. 
Labor signs: No
Stretch marks: No -- but still having itchy belly. 
Mood: It's been a challenging week, but trying to keep positive about the GD.  
Looking forward to: Hitting our next milestone of 28 weeks on Monday



27 week belly (6 weeks until our goal, can you believe it!?)




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're on top of thngs - the gd diagnosis is a tough one, but think of everything you're already doing for your/babies health, and focus on your goal! You look great and sound positive - doing great Mara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paldies, Liene! Trying to just manage it and hopefully move on from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara you look awesome! Praying for you And Marcus and all babies as always. Canyon believe you're 28w already! I know you're upset with GD, I would be too, but you are doing so well. And it will go away! You have 3 babies and no stretch marks! How awesome I'm jealous! I had them on my thigh/hips since the end of the first trimester and I only have 1 baby... Right where I gained most my weight. Love hearing your updates you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! I feel better after going to my appt and so far checking my sugars for 2 days, they're normal. Ha, aw well I think stretch marks may show up toward the end, we'll see! I know it's mostly a genetic thing, but I use Belli oil and it has been helping with staying moisturized, however, I think I need slather straight up coconut oil because I'm so itchy!

      Delete