Saturday, September 5, 2015

18 week update

How far along: 18 weeks 5 days 
Weight gain/loss: Weighing in at 163 at this week's appointment - roughly 26 pounds gained
Maternity clothes: I honestly spend most of my time in sweats/comfy clothes. I feel like at this point I don't know how big I'll be toward the end, so I'm holding off on buying anything else. I day dream about walking around in cute maternity outfits and thought maternity style would be higher on my list, but comfort is absolutely number one. Yesterday we went to the DMV to get new licenses, it was nice to put on a normal outfit and spend some time on my make up.
Sleep: For the last few days in a row I've been able to sleep on my side all night! Yay! I slept sitting up from 5-8 am last night, but otherwise have slept until about 7-7:30 on my side without too much hip pain. Still taking naps on most days. I've taken two early morning naps in a reclining chair in the family room and that seems to be quite comfortable! 
Best moment this week: We got our family car (a Ford Edge) this week, which was exciting! I also learned a few new things in our Baby Care and Twins, Triplets & More classes. I'd usually say my appointment, but this week it seemed to cause me a bit more stress. However, it was absolutely still a gift to see our babies on the ultrasound. 
Miss Anything? My body is definitely signaling me to slow down even more. However, sitting around all day is hard for me. I want to go on walks and do things around the house, I just have to be mindful of how I'm feeling and when it's too much. When I climb the stairs it is now helping if I stop halfway, otherwise my pulse beats so loudly in my head it feels like it will explode. 
Movement: After talking with the OB at my appointment, it seems most of what I'm feeling is my uterus stretching. It happens at least once a day, but there are times it has been coming on after too much standing/walking.
Food cravings: I hate to admit this as someone who eats fairly healthfully, but McDonald's crispy chicken sandwiches are the only thing I've been craving lately. I had two this week! On a healthier note, I also can't get enough organic gala apples -- I'm usually eating two per day. Again, I am trying to really focus on my protein intake. There are recommendations out there to drink several Ensure or Boost protein shakes per day to prevent/lessen twin to twin transfusion. I tried the Ensure vanilla shakes and they are terrible! The ingredients in Ensure and Boost are pretty awful as well, so I've been making my own protein shakes with whey protein powder from Whole Foods (had my parents pick up some more when they were in Chicago!). I'd like to get some organic versions of Ensure/Boost, so I may order some I saw at Whole Foods on Amazon. 
Anything making you queasy or sick? Just getting full too fast or going too long without eating! I also haven't really craved coffee lately, so I think I'm going to give it up for the rest of the pregnancy unless I feel like I absolutely need my 8 oz! I was a bit scared to drink it after the nose bleeds last week (luckily I only had one mild one this week, vaseline, saline spray and drinking lots of orange juice seem to help!)
Belly measurement: Biggest part of the belly is now 40 inches!
Gender: 3 Boys!!
Appointment Update & Prayers: After I had my 18 week ultrasound done (they just took heart rates, measured my cervix and assessed amniotic fluid for each baby), the tech brought in the MFM OB to take a further look. After she watched the twins movement and fluid for a while, she pointed out that the measurements of fluid can vary based on the baby's position and the way the tech takes the measurement. She ended up changing the tech's initial measurement of 2 to 3.5 for Baby B -- it was around 7 for Baby A. There are several markers that go into a Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome diagnosis, with fluid only being one, and so far she is not concerned. She acknowledged that I appeared worried when she started talking about it and assured me that at this time there is no diagnosis and she will continue to watch the twins closely. If necessary, we'll go to weekly monitoring. I am doing my best not to worry about Twin to Twin Transfusion. It's not easy. I pray we will not have to encounter Twin to Twin and that the differences in the twins' fluid will remain stable and no other signs will arise. 
Labor signs: No
Stretch marks: No
Mood: Overall good. A little worried this week, but feeling better each day after the appointment. 
Looking forward to: My 20 week appointment. I just want to know how the little guys are doing! 


18 week bump 


No comments:

Post a Comment